Today's daily devotion was about discipline.
It was based upon 1 Corinthians 10:21: "But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." KJV. Thanks to my African American study bible I know that the ninth chapter of 1 corinthinans is a sermon by Paul entitled "Am I not free?" This sermon is Paul's discussion of his life as an apostle of the Lord.
Basically, Paul is saying that self-discipline is required in order to be a teacher/apostle/or preacher. It is necessary to understand yourself, not just your flesh and blood, but your spirit and what is needed to keep it "in line" or disciplined for such a role (leadership) as an apostle would have.
I will be the first one to admit that one of my biggest personal faults is a lack of self-discipline. I am the World's Best Procrastinator and we all know that "procrastination is the thief of blessings" (shouts to vicky free and wanjiku!). I have been giving mself exercies and training opportunities to become better at self-discipline. I believe that my latest attempt, a firm regulation of my diet and implementation of regular exercise has been my most successful to date. I am proud of myself, however, I know that the harder and more important task will be adapting this practice of self discipline into my spiritual life. I am making the attempt with reading a daily devotion. We shall see where that has me in the coming months.
I guess this graduate school thing has got me growing a little bit.
The image above is called, AKOKO NAN, which literally means "the leg of a hen". The meaning is really in regards to parental discipline, along the lines of "spare the rod and spoil the child." However, in theory, it is an Akan representation of discipline.
November 16, 2008
1 Corinthians 10:21 KJV
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 outsider contributions:
Post a Comment